Volkswagen's Blue Motion models are the cleanest models with the lowest fuel consumption of all vehicles produced by this car manufacturer.
The Blue Motion principle
The Blue Motion concept consists of using a set of technical solutions to optimise energy performance and reduce the polluting emissions of standard models.
These techniques cover four aspects:
- Adoption of thestop -start system, which automatically cuts the motor when the car stops;
- Use of turbocharged stratified injection technology (TSI engine) which provides higher mechanical performance while saving fuel by downsizing.
Movement and fuel transmission
- Optimisation of fuel intake; direct injection technique (DIT), injection under pressure and injection fractionation (a flexible high pressure injection system with a shared line);
- Optimised gearshift management with an electronically controlled dual clutch gearbox called a Direct-Shift Gearbox (DSG). This gearbox avoids phases of underload and overload and therefore improves engine efficiency;
- Regenerative braking relieves the engine brake and recharges the electric battery.
Reduction of frictional forces
- Tires with low rotation resistance;
- Improved aerodynamics: lower frame, design of air intake grates, etc.
- Wide use of particle filters;
- Implementation of a post-combustion exhaust gas treatment system by selective catalytic reduction (SCR). The SCR process reduces nitrous oxide emissions by transforming NOx into dinitrogen (N2) and water.
Presentation of the Blue Motion version of the Passat. © Bentley Smith CC by-nc-sa 2.0